[3830] W2AA M/S Score

Mike Anderson n2tx at ws.quik.com
Tue Nov 30 22:23:25 EST 1999

                  CQ WORLD WIDE DX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: W2AA @ N2TX              Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                               Category: Multi Single
      Zone: 5

      160       30       67     2.23     14      28  Inverted 'L'
       80      112      305     2.72     27      90  Phased Wire
verticals
       40     1006     2903     2.89     36     119  2 element F12
       20      771     2259     2.93     40     138  c3e @ 90 + 54 Feet
       15      461     1348     2.92     37     131  c3e
       10      882     2590     2.94     34     128  c3e
                                                     GAP Titan Vertical
     Totals   3262     9472     2.90    188     634  =>  7,785,984

Operator List: W2XX,N2TX Full-Time N9KAU, NY6DX Part time

Equipment Description:Yaesu 1000MP, Yaesu 1000D
Alpha 91B, Alpha 87a

Club Affiliation: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

The small story from a couple SSB op's hacking out a CW weekend.

Myself and JP had planned to operate at Jim KE2TR's. A week or so before
the
start it turned out Jim's station wouldn't be available due to some
problems
at his place. so..

Now I had to get my station ready to do its first ever M/S. My first
problem
was how I was going to run on 10.15 or 20 and grab a multi on one of the
other
bands having just the tribanders. So after visiting WX0B's web site I
found
the answer in the dual feed option. This would allow me to send the top
antenna over to the second radio to grab a mult. I ordered it from Jay
but
forgot to ask for a fast shipment so missed out on this.

At 6:00pm everything was ready to go with the exception of the op's. I
was up
all week until at least 2:00am everynite getting the station ready. Sure
would
have been nice to return for a full body massage before this one but
time
just didn't permit. Everything was going well until saturday evening
when
JP's 1000D died. A quick phone call to John (NY6DX) was made and 15 mins

later he was here with a 1000mp ready to go. Thanks John!

160- Worked a bunch of Caribbean stations without to much trouble on
friday
Night. Saturday was a little better as we logged a few EU stations. I
have
no listening antennas here so makes it a little difficult to hear. Never
had
any trouble hearing CN8WW! What a beacon they've become.

80- Only tried to run here once for a short time. Not very productive so
we
elected to stay on 40 or 20. A61AJ was s9 +10 here at 4:30pm local.
JA5BJC
was peaking s7 here on sunday am. KH2/N2NL was great copy for nearly 2
hours.
I'm not sure if the bands were that good or I got lucky with this
limited
space antenna gizmo.

40- This band was very productive. We spent alot of time here cq'ing.
The
strongest signal I heard was V47KP 40 over 9 on the MP. 9M6NA and 9M6AAC
had
great signals here at our sunrise both days. I could not get either one
them
first day as it seemed many other guys on east coast had the same
problem.
There was some pile from the east coast calling but very few made it at
least
when I was around. The second day was different as I pointed antenna
south
over the Atlantic and finally got 9M6NA who was s7. Called V8A,HS0AC
with
no response both days.

20- Lots of good stuff here. Biggest pileup was SU9ZZ on sunday
afternoon.
This was the last zone needed. This is one of the best cw op's I've ever

heard. I know there's some other like this guy out there.

15- Not the most productive of bands. Being mostly a phone guy I have
the
antennas setup in the phone band. Down on CW there almost 2:1 at the
edge.
There is a need to improve problem as I move closer to becoming a full
time cw mutant!

10- Jp was yelling I can't stand this rig on (MP) on code. He was saying

the front-end was getting swamped. After going to the 8-4 option and
setting
the rig to the flat position the yelling stopped. Had some nice runs to
both EU and JA. had many JA's calling in QRP. Was nice to have H44MX
call
in the middle of JA's and I even copied his call on one shot. Thanks
Paul
for sending at novice speed for the phone guys!

Had a great time thanks to all the patient guys who called us hacker's.
I'm
really starting to like this mode and may only take me another 20 years
be good.

73 Mike and the rest of us here.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com