[3830] CQWW SSB vk3tz SOSB/80 LP

jennyb at alphalink.com.au jennyb at alphalink.com.au
Mon Nov 1 07:52:10 EST 1999

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: vk3tz
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOSB/80 LP

  160:
   80:      8      4      3
   40:      1      1      1
   10:    558     27     75
-------------------------------
Total:      8      4      3  =  210

Comments:

For those of you who worked me on 10m, I will be submitting a check log. I decided to go 80m SB after realsing the zone 30 LP 10m record would never be achieved from my QTH. I spent a month building a super light weight 10m 3 ele to stack on my th6dxx. All went well, (th6 @ 50ft, 3 ele @ 70ft). AO says 17 dbi. After 3 hours, my best EVER start with 264 Qs. It took the rest of the contest to double that. Why? I have no idea! Sunday night I decided to work some 80m Low power as there is no zone 30 record for this category. Hence very poor score. I did better in 97 as an all band entry.

Anyway, the saga is... do not try to beat a reasonable 10m LP record when you have to beam into a hill for JA, NA and EU, when that hill also has a HV power line. Moral... buy house on the NORTH side of the hill not the SOUTH. JA is at 0 deg, W at about 60deg and EU at 330 deg. Now I know why it was so much easier at the old QTH with flat land. QTH is very important.

Highlight... an OH gave me 40 over 9 but only 10 over the QRM! he was using 6 over 6, better than my 3 over 4! See you on 40m next year. Project will be SOSB 40m LP with a 2 ele delta loop. Hopefully a better result will occur.

Cheers
TONY VK3TZ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com