[3830] CQWW SSB W4WS Multi-Single HP

n4vhk at summitschool.com n4vhk at summitschool.com
Tue Nov 2 10:10:39 EST 1999

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: W4WS
Operator(s): N4VHK, N0KTY, WA4IAM, WB4MSG, WB4KQN, KT4KV, K4HQ, KC4WSK,
K4BLR
Station: N4VHK

Class: Multi-Single HP

  160:     12      5      5
   80:     85     14     41
   40:    148     24     69
   20:    300     31    106
   15:    452     32    107
   10:    747     32    135
-------------------------------
Total:   1744    138    463  =  2,890,810

Comments:

After 9 years at W4NC in the Red Cross Building (where the blood coolers
contribute to tremendous noise in the building) we decided to try
a CQWW from my QTH- a city lot QTH in downtown Winston-Salem. Going
from a 70' and 105' tower to one 40' tower, chimney mount, push-up
mast and wires was a real test in operator skill. Our score reflects
the best effort by our group in our history. It certainly shores up the
point that it is operator savvy and not all hardware that achieves
a competitive score. We tacked on an additional 1 million points from
last year, with NOTHING OVER 40' IN THE AIR!!! Our q-point average was up as
well as the mult count-We had 2 crummy hours during trick-or-treat times
Saturday evening- the kids come first, hi...
Special thanks to Gene, WB4MSG for his homebrew 10 meter delta and
15 meter monobander, to Brad K4BLR and Don-Don KT4KV for the amps,
and to Andrew K4HQ who joined us from Chapel Hill and really helped
our cause on Sunday! And of course, to Julie, my XYL , who put up with us
and still managed a great cookout after the contest.
A detailed summary to follow-

EQUIPMENT:

160- 40 foot shunt fed tower, 8 1/4 wave radials on ground
80- full wave 80 meter vertical loop up 40'
40- Force 12 C4XL up 40'
20- same as 40
15- 3 element monobander on 16' boom up 38' on chimney
10- 2 element delta loop up 30' on a pushup mast attached to the swing
set...
Gap Challenger Vertical used on 80-10 for mult hunting

Kenwood TS-930, Commander HF-2500 amp
Kenwood TS-850, Heathkit SB-220
Kenwood TS-430
Ct v.9.44, serial network, Heil prosets, W9XT card and Homebrew voice keyer

73,
Henry, N4VHK
W4WS Contest Crew
Winston-Salem, NC