[3830] W4AU - SS CW 1999

John Unger w4au at contesting.com
Mon Nov 8 10:46:38 EST 1999

W4AU 1999 CW SWEEPSTAKES SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 06-Nov-99, 07-Nov-99, 08-Nov-99

    Callsign Used : W4AU
        Operators : JOHN UNGER

         Category : single op high power

 Default Exchange : # B W4AU 56 VA

             Name : John Unger
          Address : P.O. Box 95
   City/State/Zip : Hamilton, VA 20159
          Country : United States

   80CW      148         146        292       3
   40CW      256         250        500       7
   20CW      254         254        508      46
   15CW      187         186        372      23

 Totals      845         836       1672      79

    Final Score = 132088 points.

Rig 1: Omni VI+ & L-4B
Rig 2: TS850 barefoot
Ants: KT-34A @ 40'
      Windom (when working...) 40 & 80
      40-meter delta loop
Log:  TRLog

Big news is making the sweep with all the "tough" ones calling
me; KP2N made my day by giving me #19 Sunday morning on 15!
Sweated out a MAR as the last section until I got called by VE9HF
on 40...

Most bizarre thing happened when I was calling CQ on 40 late in
the contest about 0100Z. A big signal dropped on top of me and
told me that the contest was over and that I should stop calling!
I politely told him that it lasted until 0300Z. He insisted that
it was 0310Z, and that I should QRT!! I suggested that he try and
listen to WWV. Go figure... But it might just have been a new way
of getting someone's running freq.

Had a lot of trouble with Mr. Murphy. My Windom's balun had a
major melt down Sunday morning with left me with no 80 meter
antenna. Fortunately, a friend and I had put up a temporary
40-meter loop Saturday morning for two-radio use, so I had
something for the low bands.

Also, we've been fighting with Virginia Power for a few weeks
trying to get them to fix an intermittent power line noise
problem that we have pinpointed down to a bad lightning arrestor
specific pole, but it seems they won't get to it until this week
sometime. It makes life miserable on virtually all HF bands when
it takes off.

With all that said, this was my best SS ever; thanks for all
the Q's, guys.

73 - John, W4AU

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com