[3830] SS CW AD5Q SO LP

R.S.Hradilek ids at nol.net
Tue Nov 9 01:55:16 EST 1999

     Call used: AD5Q                                          Location: STX

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW   Power: 100W

     Hours of Operation: 23:54

     band      QSOs     points
     -------------------------
     160          0          0
      80         95        190
      40        366        732
      20        191        382
      15        243        486
      10        122        244
     -------------------------
     TOTAL     1017       2034   X   78 multipliers  =  158,652

I've had better scores running A power. Got off to a slow start and
played catch-up all weekend. 10 was the right band to start on, and
the guys that are loud there got off to an early lead - especially
those out west. Me? It took 4 minutes to make my first contact,
and I moved to 15 after 15 minutes. I am not loud on 10, and the
experience reinforced my belief that the little 2 element 10 on the
Force 12 C4XL (or C3) isn't competitive. My rates for the important
first 3 hours were in the low 60's, and never were hot all weekend.

On Sunday things got worse, or maybe better. Running rates were
sucking for everybody, and I think I gained ground with the 2nd
radio against A power guys that were ahead of me early. Finished
with about 160 2nd radio contacts. My score would be pretty
dismal without them. SO2R kept me really busy.

Didn't make the mistake of wasting a lot of time in the KP2N pile,
figuring my chances of getting through with A power were not good.
Also expected the op there would figger he could get better rate by
going S&P. He did so, and called me a couple hours later during a
slow run. Spent most of the last 5 hours with beam on Wyoming
and worked lots and lots of W7's on 15, 20 & 40. Got spare NWT
and Q power KL7. No Wyoming.

We need a new word for "precedent", because it's hard to get fills.
You ask for repeats by sending "PRE" or "PREC" and the slow
weak guys are often clueless. They send you their section, check,
number, everything but what you are repeatedly asking for. I gave
up on a few contacts cuz I couldn't get the point accross and
risked loss of run frequency.

/* end of rant */
Roy -- AD5Q

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com