[3830] n0kk ss ssb solp

n0kk Kirk n0kk at pclink.com
Mon Nov 22 21:33:51 EST 1999

1999 ARRL SWEEPSTAKES SSB     Nov. 20-21

Call: N0KK

SOLP                         24 Hours

Station location: N0AT, Plymouth, MN.

Band        QSO
--------------------------------
160            0
80            103
40            397
20            576
15            168
10            141

Totals   1385 x 79 mults  =3D 218,830

CLUB: Minnesota Wireless Assc. (Gold Team)
Equipment: 2 ICOM 775DSP
20/40 Force 12 yagi
15-10 LPDA
2 phased hy-gain hytowers 80/160
80 mtr dipole
Dunstar bandpass filters
TR Log software
Well....Once again its over.
Thoughts turn to " What can be done to better the score next time"?
As for this year, For some reason by the end of this contest I was just =
bushed.
Cant remember being so tired after a 24 hour contest. My goal had been =
1150 q's, which would have been my personal best so, score wise, I'm =
thrilled with my results. And a sweep to boot.
The contest started for me like most do..I felt off to a slow start and =
wondered if Id picked the wrong band. But..Ive learned to just hang in =
there and it'll all start to flow. I swithed between 20 and 15 wanting =
to land a spot to run on 20 early as the higher bands shut down knowing =
as a low power station Ill get knocked around a bit. As time passed this =
happened and I slid to  40 to run and spent my S&P time on 20 and 15 =
looking for needed PAC/AK mults..landing both along with WP2Z.

At 3 am I had about 750 qso and needed to take my first break. Was back =
in the chair at 7 am and found 40 just loaded with stations..to many! I =
had to find a spot on 20 and this was a good move as though out the day =
the short skip was in on 20 and was able to keep a good rate into the =
Ohio valley and W9. I think this allowed me to keep from falling way =
behind other stations on the coasts that were going to benefit from good =
conditions on the higher bands.

In a total 180 turn from the CW weekend, the second day produced nearlly =
as many Q's for me as the first 12 hours. So I was able to really feel =
in a groove on both rigs. A quick look at my log shows about 210 Q's =
made on the second radio. Im quite happy with this...growing more =
comfortable all the time. Gotta love TR !!!
I stuck with both rigs until the last 1/2 hour thats when I just could =
no longer bear to listen in both ears to SSB any longer !!

I cant put this summary together without saying my sincere thanks to =
Ron, N0AT.
For his friendship, trust,  use of his station, and contest mentoring " =
Elmering".
Thanks Ron!
Kirk N0KK
73 till next time.