[3830] ARRL SS SSB K0UK SO Low Power

ukbrown at aol.com ukbrown at aol.com
Wed Nov 24 00:28:25 EST 1999

                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: K0UK
Operator(s): K0UK
Station: K0UK

Class: SO Low Power
Operating Time (hrs): 23.4

Section: CO.

   40:     71
-------------------------------
Total:   1413 x     79  =  223,254

Comments:

What a weekend with great highs and great lows.  To start with my 40mtr dipole
decided it just didnt want to work right before the contest.  I am still not
sure why at this point.  I put together another one and since I had a rope and
pulley on the 2nd tower I pulled one up just before the start and it worked
perfect for a dipole.The contest started with some computer problems that would
plague me all weekend.
About 6pm we get a very nasty call from some one in the neighborhood about TVI.
 I later found out its the same guy who has filed a complaint with the Mesa
County Planning board about my towers.  Oh, well here we go again.  What really
gets my blood to boil.  This guy calls and curses and raves at the xyl and
doesnt give his name, but the caller id's him any way.  The wife comes to me
and that takes about 15minutes of operating time.
About 7pm the Sherrifs deputy comes to the door and of course they must talk to
the bad Radio Operator.  This is another hour explaining and talking with them.
 Just to let you know.   We dont have cable or a dish.  We use the good old
inside antenna and on all of the sets in the house I am not disturbing a set at
all.  I think that was the icing on the cake for the sherriff's officiers.
This whole deal on the towers and interference isnt going to go away especially
for me.  If any one has had this problem, please pass along any info that I can
use.
Other wise I was very proud of the little A3S at 80ft and a dipole on 80 and 40
mtrs.  40mtrs was really tough for me at anytime during the contest.  But  the
other bands seemed to play well.
This maybe a first if my score holds and there is a tie.  It would have been
good to work a few more GMC op's in the contest Hi Hi.  But I had fun anyway
and I think the wife is getting ready to say, Let move to the mountains away
from the mad, mad  world of tv, audiophiles and telephone call from nameless
neighbors.
Thanks to all who worked me and put up with my computer that just seemed to
stop working for a while at any time.  PTL and God Bless... bill brown K0UK

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com