[3830] Results - 1999 RTTY Internet sprINT

Barry Kutner w2up at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 10 13:55:41 EDT 1999

Was hoping to have a few more logs arrive when I checked my e-
mail Sunday morrning, but none. So, here are the results:

WS7I	71
K7WM	66
AD7U	60
WA0SXV	47
AE5B	46
N6TQS	43
N6OJ	39
VE3WQ	33
W4LC	32
AC6JT	32
CT1FRN	29
N7VGO	25
W4WS (N4VHK op)	23
K7RFM/VE6	22
WT4I	19
LU8HWD	18
WB2UEF/4	15

Some comments from this end:

Congrats to Jay, WS7I, who wins for a second year in a row.  I
think we'll have to make DX QSOs worth 3 points to ease that west
coast advantage :.) And tnx to Joe, CT1FRN for participating at that
ungodly hour of the night.

I was unable to get on the air for this one, so can't comment on the
on-the-air activity.  Looking at the logs, seems like activity wasn't
very good, similar to last year.  1997 seemed to have the best
showing.

Everyone seemed to understand the rules, as there were only a few
"dupes" (less than 3 other stations before working the same station
again). One log showed a QSO with someone on 20, then
immediately QSYed to 40 and worked the same guy. That's not
allowed. A band change doesn't override the dupe rules.

A bunch of QSOs were lost due to poor log checking before
sending in the log. Examples include no QTH logged, and worse -
carrying a misspelled name through the log using auto-fill. Poor
Caleb, AD7U was the main victim of this when someone copied his
name correctly, then copied Calib the next time, and carried that
misspelling through several more QSOs (and both guys lose the
QSO!) Other examples include WQ instead of WA, and logging
K7RFM without /VE6 - easy to catch - especially in a small log.

One thing I noted in some logs is 3 consecutive QSOs on the
same frequency. This shouldn't happen.  If you answer a CQ, then
someone calls you after that QSO, you have to QSY at least 1
KHz before calling someone else, or 5 KHz to CQ.  As including
freq is not a log requirement, and not all logs had this info, no
deductions were made. Speaking of software, there seemed to be
a problem with some WF1B logs in that the serial number copied
by, was off by 1 in the receiver's log.  I didn't see a pattern to it, but
popped up sporadically in several logs - this is something that
needs to be fixed (I sent a note to Ray about it).

And last - Do we want to continue this short contest? The activity
level hasn't been very good the last couple of years. If the
concensus is yes, then I would also like to hand off the
management chores (announcements, log checking, etc.) to
someone else. I've done it for 4 years now. Any volunteers?
Some food for thought - The CW and SSB sprINTs have different
twist in that the Name in the exchange is what was received by
you in the last QSO.  This makes the contest more interesting,
since your exchange will be different each QSO.  The reason I
never did this is I check the logs by hand, and it would be almost
impossible to do this.  The software used for log checking (written
by K2MM) runs in Unix, which I don't have access to.  If any of you
do, maybe the format can be changed next year and incorporate
the name changes.

Tnx for your participation and logs.
73 Barry W2UP
Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up at mindspring.com