[3830] N4GN Sprint CW SOHP

Tim Totten, N4GN n4gn at n4gn.com
Mon Sep 6 00:56:01 EDT 1999

My first Sprint (if you don't count about 6 QSOs I made maybe 15 years
ago).  Possibly my most frustrating contest experience of all time!  I
just never got my head screwed on right.  Several times I actually called
someone, made a QSO, then left the frequency before it hit me that all
those guys calling were CALLING ME!  At least I never CQed on top of
someone after I was supposed to give up the freq, but I came close.

Fills are tough in this one, and even worse is when more than one guy
calls, but neither can tell which one the new owner of the freq came back
to.  I think I had a non-QSO with one of the top ten types because he
thought I came back to him, and I couldn't straighten out the mess before
he was already working someone else on "my" freq.  For similar reasons, I
suspect my error rate in this one will be higher than for a "normal"
contest.  In short, when anything out of the normal sequence takes place,
it's hard to get the train back on the track!

I was encouraged to trade the same serial number with K4FXN at one point,
until he told me he was low power!

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn at n4gn.com
http://www.n4gn.com

----------

                              SPRINT SUMMARY SHEET

     Contest Date : 05-Sep-99

    Callsign Used : N4GN
         Operator : N4GN

         Category : Single Op, High Power

 Default Exchange : # TIM KY

             Name : Tim Totten
          Address : 8309 Dawson Hill Road
   City/State/Zip : Louisville KY 40299-5317
          Country : United States

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults   Countries

   80CW       68          68         68       2         0
   40CW      107         107        107      16         1
   20CW       72          71         71      29         0

 Totals      247         246        246      47         1

    Final Score = 11,808

Soapbox:  I had the chance to go out with a real, live woman . . . but I
chose to do the Sprint for the first time.  What was I thinking?!

I, by virtue of my statement below, have taken part in the NCJ North American
Sprint, conscientiously applying my most ethical interpretation of the rules
for this contest as set forth in the National Contest Journal.