[3830] CQWW CW V26K SOAB LP

cwtrench at sprynet.com cwtrench@sprynet.com
Fri Dec 1 02:47:27 EST 2000

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: V26K
Operator(s): AA3B
Station: V26K

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Antigua

  160:    144      7     19
   80:    276     13     41
   40:    900     19     73
   20:    941     30     88
   15:   1165     28     83
   10:   1665     29     91
-------------------------------
Total:   5091    126    395  =  6,793,840

Club/Team: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Last year, my radio failed 4 hours prior to the start of the contest.  This
year, my radio was delayed in transit by Continental Airlines.  I really
learned the meaning of the Caribbean phrase "no problem" when Roy, owner of the
fabulous V26B station, immediately offered to loan me his FT1000MP after
hearing of my problem.

Roy's rig does not have a full set of CW filters, but I found I was able to run
things reasonable well using the available 500 Hz filter and the FT1000MP EDSP
feature.  It took me several hours of the contest to get used to Roy's rig, and
I think this is one of the reasons that I was down by about 10% from my last
SOABLP effort in 1998 despite the wonderful conditions.

The other problem I seemed to have this year was with multipliers.  I had some
antenna problems that probably contributed to this - the high 40M-beam rotator
did not work at all, and the high 10M-beam rotator got stuck pointing south on
Saturday afternoon.  However, the main difference I encountered was that my
"multiplier sweeps" of the bands were unproductive.

My rig was delivered to me on Tuesday, 11/28/00, and we left on Wednesday
11/29/00.  I hope it works - it looks like it was pretty beat up by Continental
Airlines.

Many, many thanks to WT3Q and N3OC for their advice and assistance in setting
the trip up.  Also, thanks to W3CF for his help with our accommodations in V2.
I really owe the success of this trip to Roy, V21N, for the use of his radio,
teaching me how to play dominos, and introducing me to many fascinating people
and places on V2 and VP2M.

QSL to my home address or via the bureau.

73 Bud V26K / AA3B