[3830] CQWW CW VA7RR SOAB LP

Gary Caldwell va7rr at telus.net
Sat Dec 2 08:03:42 EST 2000

CQWW CW 2000

VA7RR
Single Op All Band Low Power

160     13    3    3
  80   154    9  10
  40   736  25  53
  20   377  26  61
  15   782  30  84
  10   975  29  80

Total     3037   122   291      for   3,009,473

SO2R Using TRLog

Antennas:  10M  4/5 at 56/39 ft; 15M  5/5 at 86/39 ft; 20M 4 el at 73
ft; 40M 2 el at
                 73 ft; 80M InvV at 72 ft; 160M Directly Fed Tower.

    This one was both fun and interesting.

    Running low power, I was frustrated many many times by the mults I
called that could not hear me (they'd just call CQ again).  I was also
amazed by the pile-ups I was able to
crack, especially on 10 and 15, in one to three calls.

     After doing a number of CQWW weekends from VE3EJ the past four
years, I'd
almost forgotten that mults are comparatively difficult to come by from
the West Coast!
I was not satisfied with the 20 meter numbers; went there again and
again, but never
seemed to be there when I could do anything.  The band seemed flat most
of the time.

     I also had mega-trouble hearing and being heard on 80 and 160.
Based on past
efforts from here at the home station in the NA Sprints, I knew 80 would
be a problem,
especially with 100 watts.  It was.  I also tried for the first time
directly feeding the
tower for 160.  I knew it was not working when a very loud KH6CC
couldn't hear a
trace of my signal.

     Thanks to all for the contacts!  This category is really
challenging--I may try it again
next year.

73,

Gary  VA7RR