[3830] CQWW CW W2AA M/S HP

w2aa at ezoom.net w2aa at ezoom.net
Sat Dec 2 16:22:58 EST 2000

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: W2AA
Operator(s): W2XX, N2TX, KD2RD
Station: KE2TR

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Long Island, NY

  160:     12      8     11
   80:    175     17     72
   40:    995     31    119
   20:    484     38    141
   15:    925     36    142
   10:   1140     36    144
-------------------------------
Total:   3731    166    629  =  8,604,285

Club/Team: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Hmmm...just goes to show you, a couple of phone guys and one CW op (KD2RD)
don't make for a record setting pace.  The solar flare(s) were cool to
experience.  I was running on 10 on Sunday morning when it went dead
momentarily.  N2TX was on the mult station at the time and we both looked at
each other as if an antenna fell down.  Pretty amazing stuff, really.

The station is really set up for phone, so a few of the antennas we're quite
ineffective on CW, particularly the 80 meter phased array.  While we used a
tuner to bring the SWR down, the phasing lines etc. are all tuned for the wrong
part of the band.  We didn't feel string there at all, as opposed to 80 on SSB.

I don't even want to talk about 160 :-)

Don't know what happened to 20.  The station is a powerhouse on that band and
the antenna's worked fine.  I think that with only two fulltime guys, we tried
to stay out of that snakepit for a change.  In hindsight, that's where we lost
ground on K1KI and the rest of the leaders.

Oh well, SSB is coming sooooooooooooon

Congratulations to all the big scorers.  Looks like you guys are pushing us to
do more damage next year.

73, J.P. W2XX

PS. I want to publicly apologize to George, N2GA, who was due to operate with
us.  There is no question that with his qualified help we would have been right
in the thick of the game.  Unfortunately, a situation developed that was beyond
my control but prevented us from having George participate.  I'm glad he got on
and made some noise from home.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com