[3830] CQWW CW KB0VVT SOAB(A) LP

Rebecca 12yearold YL kg0us at swbell.net Rebecca12yearoldYLkg0us at swbell.net
Thu Dec 7 21:59:30 EST 2000

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - CW

Call: KB0VVT
Operator(s): KB0VVT
Station: KB0VVT

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: 04
Operating Time (hrs): 06:46

  160:      0      0      0
   80:      0      0      0
   40:      7      4      6
   20:     24      9     20
   15:     39     14     24
   10:    148     24     57
-------------------------------
Total:    218     51    107  =  94,958

Club/Team:

Comments:

IC-775DSP
KT34A on 40 foot Universal Tower
Hygain 2BDQ 40/80 meter doublet inverted V 37' apex and 10' above grd on ends.
PC with Writelog logging software.

Rebecca and I began contesting around 3 years ago.  We began contesting with a
paper log, TS-850SAT, R7 vertical up 30 feet, and a Bencher keyer.  The CW was
so fast that neither of us could hardly copy it.  At some point, we discovered
the DX Summit web site and began printing out packet spots during the contest.
We would then carefully tune the radio by hand to a frequency indicated by the
packet spot and listen to the station calling CQ.  We would then try to compare
and verify the stations callsign to the one posted on DX Summit.  This often
took several transmissions by the calling station before we would be sure that
the call matched.  At this point, which ever one of us that was operating at
the time would begin calling the given station to give the proper exchange.
This took a very long time and was a lot of work.

Since this time we have gradually improved our equipment as shown above.
Through our own experiences and various peoples help on the web and locally we
began improving our operating skills and copying speed given tips and using
programs like PED and RUFZ.  As a matter of fact, Rebecca has been beating up
her dad in RUFZ.  She has been scoring well over 13000 while I just managed to
score over 8000 just yesterday.  The twelve year old is pretty proud to show up
old dad.

At this point, we do not really need the packet spots to verify calls and
sometimes I believe they actually slow us down.  This is the first real
contest, not counting last Field Day, that both of us were brave enough to run
a frequency for a while. Previously, we were strictly search and pounce.  I do
not know how Rebecca feels, but that was pretty tough to handle at some points
during the contest.  I have a new respect for those who run a frequency during
a pile-up.  We also found a new crutch called the partial check database.  We
had never used that before but it sure came in handy during the contest.

Rebecca and I participated in the CQWW phone contest.  She spent about 7.5
hours on it and made 204 QSOs with a score of 107,136.  I spent about 17 hours
and made 467 QSOs with a score of 438850.  I had planned on going to at least
500 QSOs but the neighbor came over complaining that I was interfering with the
sound on his television.

We feel that we have come a long way in the last few years but it has been both
fun and tough at times.  I am afraid that many people would not have seen it
through and would have given up.  I also feel that with the lower code
requirement, that CW contests will be in real jeopardy in the next 10 years
with the aging of the existing core contesting crew.  There is such a giant gap
between the new 5 wpm code requirement and the 25plus wpm average in contests.
I think that some slower speed contests should be instituted as stepping stones
to help people jump the big gap.

Hope to talk to you good people during the 10 meter contest.

73,
Dave KG0US

Rebecca KB0VVT

http://www.qrz.com/database?callsign=kb0vvt