[3830] ARRL10 N4OX SO SSB LP

N4OX at webtv.net N4OX at webtv.net
Mon Dec 11 15:08:22 EST 2000

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N4OX
Operator(s): N4OX
Station: N4OX

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:   1512    139
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:   1512    139  =  420,336

Club: Florida Contest Group-Panhandle

Comments:

I had planned to have a 7 element M2 antenna at 70
feet and a 4 element M2 antenna at 30 feet on two
portable lifts I rented for the weekend. I am a
Deputy Sheriff and live at an elementary school where
I am the security officer and can't have a tower, but
the principal approved the weekend operation as no
kids were around to climb on the lifts. The guy I
bought the 7 element from tightened the elements too
tightly on the element to boom mounts and they
wouldn't telescope together as there is a dimple (or
maybe it's a chad) inside 4 of the elements. It's
repairable, but will require more tools than I have
or possibly a machine shop. The 70 foot lift turned
out to be a 41 foot lift as the 70 foot lift broke at
a job site on Thursday. The manager at the rental
company gave me a super deal on the weekend rental,
so I really can't complain. Kept the antenna at 35
feet or so most of the weekend, but did raise it up
in the evening for the JA opening. Not sure if the
extra height helped or not, but the lift was fun to
operate.

Listened to my fellow FCG members, K4XS and WC4E run
EU stations that I could barely hear on Sunday
morning. I'm sure their stacked antennas helped, but
being 300-350 miles more south probably didn't hurt
either. I'm going to petition the ARRL for a new
section, LAAF(lower Alabama, almost Florida).

Sunday afternon signals from W1/W2 were the loudest
I've ever heard, with several stations pinning the S
meter on my old Kenwood TS-830S. What was strange
though was that I couldn't get a decent run going. I
would asks guys I did work what my signal was like
and they would reply 20-25 over and the frequency was
clear, but no rate to speak of. Loudest station from
W1 land was K1TEO consistently. W1SJ and KK1L were
also loud. There were other loud stations as well,
but these three stand out in my memory. Loudest
station all weekend ........KG0ZI, followed by
W7ZR......both were smokin'.

All in all, a fun weekend and I'm glad K4XS went high
power this year, although we did finally kick him and
K4OJ, K1TO and WC4E out of the Northern Florida
section, so I don't have to compete with them.

It's fun being active again and hopefully by summer
I'll have a few more bills paid off and can buy 5 or
10 acres to start building a real station.

73, Jay N4OX

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com