[3830] ARRL SS SSB VE7F0 SO LP

jimsmith at home.com jimsmith at home.com
Thu Dec 14 19:54:16 EST 2000

                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: VE7F0
Operator(s): VE7F0
Station: VE7F0

Class: SO LP
Section: BC

  160:      0
   80:      8
   40:      0
   20:     63
-------------------------------
Total:    406 x     77  =  62,524

Just got back into the game after about 30 yrs.  20 died sooner than I expected
and no lower band antennas.  Rummaged around in basement.  Found 2 coils of
wire with center insulator and coax attached.  Estimated diam of coils and
counted turns.  Hmmm.... looks like 40 m "bow tie" doublet.  So, 9:00 at night,
up on the roof, climb 10 ft up the tower, fling one set of  coils towards the
front yard and the other set to the back.  Hang the insulator off a stick tied
to the tower.  Down to the ground.  Do my best to untangle each pair of wires
forming the bow tie.  Use a couple of large spring clips to fasten the N end to
garage fascia board.  Drape the S end over some bushes in the front yard.
Notice that the front yard wires are draped over some flashing material on the
roof.  Up on the roof, fasten some plastic sheet material to lift the wires a
couple of feet off the flashing.  Into the shack (it's now 10:30 pm) to tune up
on 40.  Why is the SWR so high?  Try 80.  Oh, it's an 80m bow tie.  Made 8
contacts on 80 and went to bed.  Seemed like a typical contest to me except far
away the closest I have ever been to making a clean sweep.  I can't believe I
missed Ms and Sk.  Is it called Sk because they are all Silent Keys?

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com