[3830] ARRL10 KG0US SO Mixed LP

kg0us at swbell.net kg0us at swbell.net
Tue Dec 19 21:55:04 EST 2000

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: KG0US
Operator(s): KG0US
Station: KG0US

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MO

   CW:    458     93
  SSB:    739     93
----------------------
Total:   1197    186  =  616,404

Tom AE9B and I, along with help from Marty NW0L and others, each put up a tower
during this past summer.  Tom put up a 56’ Trylon tower with a Force 12 C3
series beam while I put up a 40’ Universal tower with a KLM KT34A beam.  Tom
uses a FT-1000MP while I use a IC-775DSP.  Tom is located 10 miles outside the
Kansas City suburbs while I am located inside the Kansas City suburbs.

This was the first contest where Tom and I had entered the same category.  Tom
usually likes to run high power with the Drake 4 LB during contests.

Tom and I contacted each other on a local 2 meter repeater Friday night after
the band had shut down to talk about how each of us was doing during the
contest.  Tom had made 54 QSOs while I had managed 57 QSOs.

On Saturday, I spent much of the morning doing search and pounce on CW and
Phone.  It had been a long time since I had not used packet during a contest so
I felt kind lost without it.  By early afternoon, I ran across Tom running a
phone frequency so I made a contact with him.  Before, I left I asked him how
he was doing and found out he was over 200 QSOs ahead of me.  I decided I had
better start running a frequency like he was or I was going to fall way behind.
 Saturday evening we talked again and he had over 1000 QSOs while I had just
under 700 QSOs.  Tom was kind of concerned though because my score was not far
behind his because I had worked both CW and phone while he spent the majority
of time on phone.  His philosophy for Sunday was to work a lot of CW to gain
the multipliers and extend his lead.  Since that was his philosophy, my plan
was to try to run a rate on a frequency like he had on Saturday to catch up on
QSOs and add in some CW to boot.  I think I had the advantage on CW because Tom
was out of practice and had little experience running at contest speed.

On Sunday, the phone band did not seem near as lively as on the previous day.
I do not know if it was due to poorer conditions or because I had already
worked many people from the day before.  Anyway, things did not quite work out
as I had planned.  I ended up running a frequency on CW for most of the day or
at least until 3:00 PM central standard time.  There was a Kansas City Chiefs
game and I did not want to cause any interference to my neighbors by operating
phone during this time.  Tom and I had run across each other on CW during the
day but neither of us thought to give the other a QSO.  Oh well, by the end of
the contest I was able to close the gap between Tom and I to around 198 QSOs
but Tom was still victorious.  Maybe next year!

73,

Dave KG0US

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com