[3830] Stew Perry K4LDR SO LP

k4ldr at hitter.net k4ldr at hitter.net
Sun Dec 31 20:16:57 EST 2000

                     Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K4LDR
Operator(s): K4LDR
Station:

Class: SO LP
Grid Square: EL88
Operating Time (hrs): 10.5

QSOs:  170  Score: 1,408

I love this 160 meter in-the-trenches Morse stuff!  Thanks to all that helped
me with a contact.  Congratulations to all on the gentlemanly patience extended
to the topband fellowship.  My location is inland from Crystal River, FL on a
135 ft ASL sand dune (that is a mountain by Florida standards). Station is an
OMNI VI+ at 100W, and a low inverted "L" with only a 35 ft vertical segment and
10 radials. This is my 2nd SPDXC. In 1999, I did 118Q/750pts.  I was shooting
to double the 1999 point score and I almost did it. It was bone-cold here in
West Central Florida, even inside. Our key lime and orange trees froze and
croaked.  It was so cold that I didn't bother to drag the 200+ feet of feedline
out to the single Beverage towards Europe.  Good news though, no snow!  The AGC
in the OMNI radio broke and that was a troublesome hindrance.  My biggest start
was hearing UA2FF really strong and then working him on the first call.  I
saved personal injury when I fell off my chair!  That was a 34 pointer!  Got a
couple of 32 pointers too; SM6MCW and KH6ND. 28/30 pointers were G0IVZ, G4BWP,
KH7A.  Regards to my PVRC comrades from the 1970s.  As I said, I love this 160
meter in-the-trenches Morse stuff.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com