[3830] CQ160 SSB WO1N Multi-Op

wo1n at arrl.net wo1n at arrl.net
Mon Feb 28 23:49:53 EST 2000

                     CQ 160 Meter Contest, SSB

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N + PACKET
Station: WO1N

Class: Multi-Op
Operating Time (hrs): 7.4

QTH: MA

QSOs: 180  States/Provinces: 32  Countries: 6  Score: 16,568

Comments:

Equipment: FT1000D (150W), Inv L @65', AlphaDelta DX-LB @ 40', Shielded loop +
Packet

This one was a tough one, but I hate SSB contests anyways... We had what seemed
like several days of rain and whatever noise sources around me (and there are
lots) were singing full song, noise floor was S9+20db. To make matters worse,
my normally lively shielded loop was way down in signal strength so most of the
contest was done without it. I think I diagnosed this as moisture infiltration
as about 2:30am local Sunday morning I decided to sweep it for an swr check
with 5 Watts. It checked out OK, albeit the 1:1 point was about 10kHz lower
than normal, but when I put it back to the rx ant port it seemed like its old
self again. Duh, should have done that hours ago....Not only that but the Inv L
touches a lot of branches (wet branches) so it was presenting the auto tuner
with fits all weekend trying to get a decent match.

I4JMY was a beacon Sat morning but couldn't snag him, OT0T was heard for a
short while at about their sunrise also Sat morning, never heard them Sunday
morning. Thank goodness for the Carib guys otherwise I probably wouldn't have
had any DX.

This one is always fun as you get to actually talk to the folks you've been
working on TopBand all winter long. I use packet a lot in this one too,
spotting everything I hear up the band and, hopefully, motivating the locals to
get on and work us! Any awards out there for most packet spots?

CU in the ARRL DX SSB (aarrggh),

Ken
WO1N
WO1N at ARRL.NET