[3830] RTTY WPX - VE5CPU SOABHP

Bart Ritchie ve5cpu at sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 14 17:16:34 EST 2000

CQ/RJ WW RTTY WPX

Call used: VE5CPU  Location:  SK

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band
              High Power: 500 watts

Band    QSOs   Pts  Mults
80        10    40      -
40        61   240      -
20       193   432      -
15       170   414      -
10        85   193      -
-----   ----  ----  ------
Total    519  1319     245
Claimed Score: 323155

Prefixes counted only once (not once per band)
Software: RTTY by WF1B  v4.5 - Thanks Ray!

Soapbox: Can't belive it, first time in 5 years I have not been
working or out of town this contest weekend.  In fact, first time
to enter this test.  I was surprised to work +500 Qs the way conditions
unfolded midway through Sat (Z).

Started out not too bad and for the first few hours the high bands
were open to everywhere it seemed. As things got dark here the low bands
proved to be way too noisy, participation seem low and I had way to
early a day.  Come about 13Z when I got back on it was like someone
had thrown a very wet blanket over Sask and with a K of 7, most of the
world.  VERY tough sledding most of the daylight hours, but the evening
yielded some results on the low bands - but only on continent with my
set up - not even the Caribbean could be heard, but I did mange HC8N on 40.

Sunday at about 11Z it was pretty quiet, but soon opened up on 15 and 20
to EU for a couple of hours and then went quiet for a couple of hours.
The bands warmed up and so did the activity.  By 18Z there was a lot of
activity and it was possible to do some running into Eu and NA.  Later in
the day it was back to S&P for DX mults.  The final few hours was back to
running NA's.

Overall conditions were strange the second half of Sat and far more
reasonable on Sunday.  The level of participation did not seem high, but it
just may have been conditions and the casual ops went on with other
activities.

Worked quite a few stations at +1000 Q's - GREAT JOB given the
conditions.  THANKS to all those who stopped by. I appreciated the chance to
work you and look forward to seeing you all in the next one.

73, Bart - VE5CPU
. B.R. (Bart) Ritchie           Internet: ve5cpu at sk.sympatico.ca .
. Regina, SK Canada                                           .
. Amateur Radio Call:VE5CPU     Ampr-Org: ve5cpu at ve5us.ampr.org  .

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com