[3830] ARRLDX CW AL7IF SOSB/10

fswt at uaf.edu fswt at uaf.edu
Sun Feb 20 19:54:16 EST 2000

                     ARRL DX Contest - CW

Call: AL7IF
Operator(s): AL7IF
Station: AL7IF

Class: SOSB/10
QTH: KL7
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:   1179     57
----------------------
Total:   1179     57  =  196308

Comments:

Wow...

That was a blast. 10 meters was in as good condition as you can expect from
Alaska. The band opened to the states between 7:30 and 8 am, and stayed open
until about 6 pm. The first few hours were difficult, because we were
competing
with EU and most of the US had antennas pointed away from us. I could go up
and
down and pick off occasional ones, and eventually everyone started coming
back.
At that point, I found a frequency and called. As long as I could hold the
frequency, I could keep some rate going.

Both Saturday and Sunday I was able to go for a number of hours working at
least 75/hour, with several 120 hours in there, too. THe best part was that
unlike most contests, there was a steady stream of stations, rather than the
usual clogs of nothing, nothing, 10, 8, 5, nothing nothing... at a time. If
only every contest was like this...

One problem was that a lot of JA stations called to work me, and that would
bog
down the rate to the states. So, rather than ignore them, or try to discourage
them, I would work them (which is why the math doesn't work with the above
totals... there are a bunch of 0 point Q's) to keep the frequency clear.

There were clearly a lot of casual people on the band, especially sunday,
because I had about 45 dupes. This required some calculation on my part:
"which
to answer... the 3 or the 8? I still need DC, so the 3" ... and of course, it
was a dupe, and the 8 was not.

Towards the end, I found myself thinking... the next station to call me
will be
VY1JA... The next station to call me will be W3USS. Of course, neither called.

I've never run a contest (from my QTH) where I actually worked all states...
this was a first.

Big fun! Thanks to everyone!

(be interesting to see how badly I get trounced by some Caribbean SO 10
stations)

73...

Wigi, AL7IF

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/