[3830] ARRLDX CW K6LA SOAB LP

kwidelitz at gtemail.net kwidelitz at gtemail.net
Tue Feb 22 15:34:39 EST 2000

                     ARRL DX Contest - CW

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: LAX

  160:      0      0
   80:     48     20
   40:    367     68
   20:    288     72
   15:    494     77
   10:    520     74
----------------------
Total:   1717    311  =  1601961

Comments:

Last year high power my totals were 1798 X 322. Running LOW POWER, until the
last 5 hours this year, I was ahead of last year. I felt like I ran out of guys
to work the last 5 hours. It was so bad there were BIG pile-ups on JAs on 10
meters. It was so bad I moved JA's from 15 to 10. But that was the only bummer
in my book. Well, not hearing anybody on 160 was a bummer too. I even heard
6D2X give their 160 freq but I couldn't hear them. I put up a HF2V instead of
my Force 12 160 vertical cause it is much easier to put it up and I figured low
power I'd get only XE, KL7 and KH6. But I got shut out on 160.

I never had an hour over 62, but the first 30 hours were much more consistant
than last year when I had hours in the 20's in the 0500 - 0800 hours the first
day.

Highlights were moving JT1CS from 10 to 15 to 20, hearing an enormous pile-up
on FR5FD on 20, coming back 20 minutes later and working him on one call and
getting called by CT3KN on 40 meters at 0922 with the antenna pointed at JA.
Where did he come from. No other EU heard at the time.

One other highlight. Sunday morning I'm running on high in the band on 10
meters with the last 10 rate meter about 60/70. I work G4UCJ who is running 5
watts. Then I struggle to get 2E0ASR at 3 watts. Not exactly a call easy to
copy, nor was the 3 for power. All of a sudden, the last 10 rate meter goes to
150-170. I made a note to check to see if I was spotted. After the contest I
checked, and sure enough, G4UCJ spotted me after I worked 2E0ASR mentioning the
3 watts in the spot. Guess he made it up to me for the struggle. I wonder if it
was the same guy using a different call to see if I could hear him at 3 watts?

So where are all the big east coast LP scores? Only saw one from K1TO. Could
this be a top 10 LP score?

73, Ken, K6LA, Ken Six Los Angeles

K6LA        1717  311   1601961SOAB LP

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com