[3830] NAQP SSB WA7BNM SO

bhorn at hornucopia.com bhorn at hornucopia.com
Sun Jan 16 23:45:23 EST 2000

                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: WA7BNM
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SO
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:57

  160:     26      9
   80:     42     22
   40:    115     43
   20:    156     50
   15:    103     37
   10:    441     33
----------------------
Total:    883    194  =  171,302

Comments:

S.Calif Contest Club Team 2
SO1R

Spent the first 15 minutes of the contest S&Ping on 10m before finding a
frequency to settle into. Still ended up with 123 QSOs in the 1st hour. 10 was
hot from S.Calif. Seemed like the rate was slowing slightly at the end of the
1st hour so went to 15m. But didn't have much luck finding multipliers or
running, so returned to 10m at 2000Z, where I stayed until 2300Z -- finishing
with a 127 Q hour. Rates were great during this time on 10m, but seemed to
mainly work the same geographic area, so the mult total wasn't good.

After 10m, never got any rhythm going on 15 or 20. Was plagued with S7 noise
for much of the first half of the contest on 10, 15 and 20. Didn't seem to hurt
the rate on 10m, but the noise combined with rapid QSB caused a lot of
incomplete QSOs. Would hear the initial call sign fine, then the signal would
drop below the noise on the report.

40m was the usual QRM slog. Heard lots of stations on 80m that couldn't hear
me. Put up the balloon-supported vertical for 160m, so had more mults than
usual for this band.

Even with the low totals on 15 and 20, I ended the contest with an all-time
personal best.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn at hornucopia.com)

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com