[3830] CQ160 CW N6BT Multi-Op

k2kw at prodigy.net k2kw at prodigy.net
Mon Jan 31 13:49:02 EST 2000

                     CQ 160 Meter Contest, CW

Call: N6BT
Operator(s): N6BT, K2KW
Station: N6BT

Class: Multi-Op
Operating Time (hrs): 19

QTH: CA

QSOs: 569  States/Provinces: 54  Countries: 17  Score: 116,795

Comments:

Equipment:  TS850, Ten Tec Titan, Dipole @ 10-20' !   Tom's QTH is on a
small
hill (which sure helps!), with a maximum 140' drop to the NE/E/SE, but
uphill
towards S/SW.

Nice to have Mike, N6VNE stop by both nights to learn more about contesting!

Looks like we might have him hooked.  Mike recently got his advanced, and
wants
to get his extra (the old fashioned way) before the new rules kick in - way
go Mike!

Overall, the score is not too bad for a casual effort with a minimal
antenna,
and lots of breaks for dinner, socializing, and sleep.  Band noise was
around
S2-3 and no static, so we could hear more than we could work.

Propagation:  When we first got on around 0030z, we were hearing a LOT of EU
signals, but they couldn't hear us!  HA8FM (S4) was the loudest of the
signals
I noted, but we settled into CQing since we couldn't get a QRZ from any of
the
EU stations.

Conditions to the USA were rather poor both nights, and could only get runs
W8, 9, 4, 3, 2, 1 after local midnight.  Very little heard from the eastern
Canadian provinces... even VE1ZZ was around S4 when he called.

We were hearing JA well the first night, but we could only get a run going
late
in the opening.  We laughed when a JA spotted us as "Loud"... with a 10'
high
dipole?  To JA, the ravine drops off around 75', but the next hill (1/2 mile
away) is noticably higher than us.  JA was OK the 2nd night, but the opening
was much shorter.

South Pacific was strong both nights, but the real surprise was a loud VK9NS
calling us.  VQ9IO was worked Friday morning before the contest, but didn't
hear him at all during the contest.

Heard but not worked: V31JP, YV1DIG, HA8FM, OM7M, and other EU's I didn't
write
down.

DX worked: 8P, BY, FO, JA (37), KH2, KH6, KL, KP2, KP4, V4, V7, VK, VK9N,
VP6,
XE, XZ, ZL

US/VE not heard: ND, DC, NB, PEI, NF, LAB, NWT,YT

73, Kenny K2KW
CU as VP5/K2KW in 2 weeks and VP5TT in ARRL DX CW Contest

http://www.hornucopia.com/3830score/

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com