[3830] IARU HF N6MJ SO CW

kc6cnv at aol.com kc6cnv at aol.com
Mon Jul 10 02:06:32 EDT 2000

                     IARU HF Championship

Call: N6MJ
Operator(s): N6MJ
Station: W6KP

Class: SO CW  Power: HP  Radios: SO2R
QTH: CA

  160:       3                 2
   80:      35                11
   40:     273                44
   20:     724                67
   15:     758                56
   10:     122                34
-----------------------------------
Total:    1915        0      214  =  1,598,366

Club: WWYC

Comments:

Thanks alot to Tom, W6KP, for letting me use his station again.  Used 4 radios
and 4 amps (only 2 at a time.) Had a few visits from murphy.  The SWR on the
10m antenna was 3:1, but luckily it was only a bad coax.  Also had some
problems with my audio mixer.  I get a very loud and annoying hum when I have
both radios plugged in, so I didnt use the 2nd radio the whole time.  Congrats
to W4AN for a great score from the PNW.

10M: TS-950SDX - AL1500 - 6 EL KLM YAGI
Worked 11 EU and only 6 JA's.  Band was open, but everyone was weak.  Found a
loud 9V9HQ around 17z for a nice surprise mult. Only found one of the S5 boys
on this band..S517W

15M: TS-940 - AL1200 - 6 EL KLM YAGI
Best rate band by far.  I spent too much time CQing on 15m so I missed a few of
the easy HQ mults.  The JA's were unusually weak, none louder than s5.

20M: IC-775 - Homebrew amp - 6 EL KLM YAGI
The usual..open to all corners of the world the whole 24 hours.  Spent a lot of
time S&Ping on this band while CQing on 15m, so I was able to find most of the
HQ stations.  Had s7 noise when pointed towards EU, so pulling out the weak
EU's was very tough.

40M: TS-950S - Homebrew amp - 4 EL KLM YAGI
Was able to work about 20 euro's which helped the mult total alot.  In a 15
minute stretch I worked 4 different UA0's, each in a different zone.  JA's were
loud as usual, but very few showed up.

80M: TS-940 - AL1200 - 67 ft vertical
Band was very noisy, so I stayed away from it.  Only worked 1 JA.

160M: TS-950SDX - AL1500 - vertical
Obviously didnt have any success on this band..only got zones 6 and 8.  Tried
moving a few zone 7's there, but none of them heard me.

and who says there are no young contesters left?  I know a lot of them, and I
seem to be doing ok :)

73, Dan N6MJ, age 19 WWYC#11

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com