[3830] IARU HF WO1N SO CW

wo1n at arrl.net wo1n at arrl.net
Mon Jul 10 22:44:13 EDT 2000

                     IARU HF Championship

Call: WO1N
Operator(s): WO1N
Station: WO1N

Class: SO CW  Power: LP
QTH: EMA

  160:       7        0        3
   80:      13        0        3
   40:      94        0       29
   20:     305        0       37
   15:     358        0       39
   10:      32        0       10
-----------------------------------
Total:     809        0      121  =  352,473

Club: YCCC

Comments:

 Our club didn't do FD this year and I sort of missed that in a big way so I
set up a low $ screen house borrowed from a buddy in the backyard to do this
one "Field Day" style. Doing this also helped me to not feel too bad about
missing the beautiful weather the NE was having. Good idea until about 20
minutes into the contest the wind blows the da*n screen house down on me...

 After that was settled I quickly found 15M was the place to be. Feeling a
little rusty I S&P'ed for about the first 2 hrs. Started a run at hour 3, which
was my best hour at a whopping 79 followed by a 67 at hr 9 on 20M. I didn't
feel loud this contest and the only reason I stopped running is because the
rate dried up. I guess I have been over estimating the power of a TA33 at 38'
and 150W. Sure felt loud during the winter months though...40M was in good
shape but 80M was a total bust with some huge noise that made it just about
impossible to hear anything but stateside within 300-400miles.

The S5xx guys were very equal and top notch operators. Only found 27 of them
for 33Q's, however. A bit of a disappointment considering the amount of S&P I
did.

It was about midnight when the local skunks showed up to terrorize my yard. Not
wanting any company of that sort in the screen house and the 59deg F made me
decide to move everything back into the shack and finish it out there.

 Missed the last hour openning on 10M and was desparately searching for some
rate on 15 and 20, but it just didn't happen. So, I missed 2 simple goals of 1K
Q's and 20hrs operating (CT says 17hrs). Finished the test wishing for more.

 Hats off to the organizers, the web sites documenting the event have been
great,

CU in the next one,

Ken
WO1N