[3830] W7TI NAQP RTTY SOAB

Bill Turner w7ti at jps.net
Sun Jul 16 08:16:17 EDT 2000

>From here in So Cal it looked like the Northeast had seceded from the Union.
Worked one station in Maine (a rebel rebel?), otherwise zip from 1 & 2-land.

My apologies to the W4 to whom I said "there is something wrong with your
signal".  Never heard auroral flutter on someone that far south before.  The
scope pattern didn't even look like ellipses, just a big scramble.

Contest Within a Contest:  Had a HAL DXP-38 running on a second computer
with the same audio feed as RITTY by K6STI on the main computer.  Result:
RITTY wins hands down.  The DXP-38 is no slouch (see review in April 2000
QST) but RITTY is clearly better, at least in these conditions.

My lone contact on 10 was with a South American - the band was open pretty
good, just nobody home.

Favorite name:  TRTTYSAURUS

Gruesome details:

2000 RTTY NA QSO Party

Call used: W7TI
Location:  CA (30 miles N of Palm Springs)

Entry Class: Single Op, All Band

Band    QSOs   Pts   QTH    DX
80         0     0     0     0
40        38    38    18     0
20        85    85    31     1
15         5     5     5     0
10         1     1     0     0
--------------------------------
Total    129   129    54     1

--------------------------------------

Claimed Score: 7095

Software: RTTY by WF1B  v4.5c + RITTY by K6STI ver 4.05b
Power Output: 100
TX/RX:  TS-870S
Ant:    Cloud Warmer Special: Inverted vee @ 30 ft on all bands
TNCs:  HAL DXP-38 (RX only)