[3830] N3BB WPX CW M/S

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 3 23:09:33 EDT 2000

                  CQ WORLD WIDE PREFIX CONTEST -- 1999

      Call: N3BB                     Country:  United States
      Mode: CW                       Category: Multi Single

      BAND     QSO   QSO PTS  PTS/Q PREFIXES

      160        0        0   0.0        0
       80        0        0   0.0        0
       40      333     1250   3.8       83
       20     1038     2371   2.3      366
       15     1107     2240   2.0      313
       10      413      814   2.0       88
     --------------------------------------

     Totals   2891     6675   2.3      850  =   5,673,750

Operator List: N3BB, N3AD, K5PI

Equipment Description: FT1000MP and Alpha Amp (2 stations)
6/6 on 10, 5/5 on 15, 5/5 on 20, 3L on 40

Club Affiliation: Central Texas DX & Contest Club

                             Signature, Jim George

           MAILING ADDRESS:

               Jim George  N3BB
               14721 Bear Creek Pass
               Austin, TX 78737

This contest was an opportunity for N3AD and myself to practice operating
together.  We were fortunate to have K5PI, a really good operator, to help
(a lot) and it enabled Alan and me to co-operate on the same band quite a
bit.  On Sunday afternoon, with things a bit slow, we ping ponged back and
forth between 15 and 10 meters.  10 meters opened to Europe both days, but
the meat and potato band was 15 meters in the day, and 20 meters at night.
I really like the summer night opening of 20 meters over the pole.  We had
a nice JA opening on 15 meters Saturday evening local time, but a nasty
storm front passed through Austin, and there was a six hour period when the
QRN was S8 or higher.  I would think that cost us between 100 and 200 QSOs.
That time period is our "secret sauce" here competing against the East
Coast, so it hurt to lose the high rates to JA at that time.  40 meters was
a disappointment, as it was very hard to run Europe, and the usual JA
morning run was not as good as we expected it to be.  The signal strength
was there, but the number of stations seemed to be down this year.  That's
another "secret sauce" area against the east Coast, so we went oh-for-two
in that area this year.

There were some awesome scores.  Congrats to the WK6LA team...wow.  And to
KQ2M in S/O.  Great efforts by many operators.

73,  Jim George, N3BB/5

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com