[3830] CQWW SSB KE9R SOSB/10 LP

fox at obsolete.org fox at obsolete.org
Mon Oct 30 09:01:43 EST 2000

                     CQ Worldwide DX Contest - SSB

Call: KE9R
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOSB/10 LP
QTH: Avon, IN
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:    760     32    115
-------------------------------
Total:    760     32    115  =  322,665

Club/Team: SMC

Comments:

Radios/Ants:
- FT990
* Rotary C31XR @100'
* 3el Tribander fixed SA @80'

Ended the first night with 56Q's. Really felt like I was QRP trying to work JAs
from the midwest. Saturday morning the band opened well to EU and my S&P rate
hit 130 at times. I could run at 70Q's/hour during the mid morning. Thinking
back, I should have really attacked this harder, a lot harder. 550 of my
total came from this opening.

Saturday night didn't open to JA as well as Friday. The band was cleaned out
and quitely hissing for me by 00:00z. Sunday morning I kept waiting for the
band to really open to EU but it never did. CQ rates would never get better
than 25, S&P would be lukcy to hit 30. Band shifted towards SA and I could
never get much more than scraps, nothing really meaty (although the 3el at 80
was wonderful).

I would have traded an important organ for a second radio, a bandpass filter,
and a band map. If you heard a coke can being thrown against the wall, that was
my vox kicking when I got in a passion over not being able to S&P with two
radios.

A friend came over around 17:00z and I left the radio speaker on, but certainly
didn't work much beyond that. The last Q was logged at 20:00z. I kinda kick
myself for not sticking it out and squeezing maybe another 100/150 Qs out of
the band, but, but, but..

At least our secret plans for SS dominance are in order.

- Greg/KE9R

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com