[3830] NA Sprint CW VE9DX/STORY LP

k5nz at aol.com k5nz at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 15:52:28 EDT 2000

                     NA Sprint - CW

Call: VE9DX/STORY
Operator: K5NZ
Station: VE9JW

Power: LP
QTH: NB

   80:     28
   40:     56
   20:    102
----------------------
Total:    186 Qs   40 Mults =  7,440

Club/Team: Austin Powers

Comments:

Wow!  What great fun operating from VE9.  I would like to thank Andy, VE9DX,
for setting this up for me on short notice and Joseph, VE9JW, for the use of
his station for the evening.  I was on vacation and noticed that I would be in
St. John the evening of the contest.  George, K5TR, suggested that I contact
Andy and see about operating.  What a great hobby that just an e-mail to a
fellow contester on a weeks notice can produce such a fun evening!

Andy picked me up around 7pm local time and gave me a quick tour of St. John on
the way to the station.  As we set it up we found some "stray" RF running
around so had to run LP and couldn't use the CW keying line on the
computer...so I have to confess that I butchered not only the morse code but
Andy's fine reputation with my pitiful sending by hand.  You forget how tuff
that is when your spoiled with using the computer.  I think this is the first
contest I have entered where I did all the sending by hand..and boy do I need
the practice! Sorry for all the fills! lol

It was great to hear the bands from up north.  20 was great, 40 sounded very
lite with activity from my usual Texas QTH, and 80 was a real surprise!  Andy
told me that I would be surprised how well 80 would play and I probably should
have gone there before the last 30 mins.  I also did the whole contest using
the speaker so Andy could listen in as I played.  He is a far better CW op than
me and I think now that he had a chance to listen to the exchange and pace of
the Sprint, he will be a player from now on.  Sprint ends at 1am local in St.
John so it was a late night and I thank Andy for spending the evening with me.

I understand that VO1MP was also on so my impact was not as great as I had
thought, but I made a real effort to try and work all the regulars.  I chased
my buddy N5RZ all night but he never heard me, hope he got Gus for the NB mult.
 I even made it with Dale, KG5U, QRP....

See you for SSB back in hot, steamy, Texas!
73 Mike  k5nz

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com