[3830] NAQP CW N0AX SO

hwardsil at wolfenet.com hwardsil at wolfenet.com
Sun Aug 5 12:45:43 EDT 2001

                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: N0AX
Operator(s): N0AX
Station: N0AX

Class: SO LP
QTH: WA

  160:     17      6
   80:     44     19
   40:    176     45
   20:    223     49
   15:    137     46
   10:      7      5
----------------------
Total:    604    170  =  102,680

Club/Team: Rush Drake Quintet

Comments:

Wow - what a change from January as we fall off the back porch of Cycle 23.
What has ol' Sol been a-drankin, anyway?  Combined with the usual summer ills
of noise, absorbtion, and
don't-you-have-anything-better-to-do-on-this-beautiful-day, this was another
"character-building experience", but a pretty good tune up for the fall.

If there is silver lining to such a slogfest (from up here it was a slogfest),
it was being able to shake the rust off the two-radio technique.  Since rate
was low on both 20 and 15, TR-LOG's dueling CQ's worked much better than usual.
 What would have been a deadly dull afternoon was much snappier, once the
messages and speed were tuned to keep both frequencies occupied occasionally.

15 got "Love Story Disease" just before sunset - there was a nice
coast-to-coast opening just before it died and VE9DX put in an unexpected
appearance.  No other VE1 was heard.  Thanks to Serge, XM2AWR for the QC and
Honest Abe, W3DA for a 2-band Delaware.  Never heard a Nebraska - were the
Huskers playing or something?  Alaska was also a no-show, even though one ear
kept sweeping 20 for KL7 or hoping KH6ND would appear.  10-meters, we hardly
knew ye...

40 seemed good, if noisy, and 80 had it's surprises in between static crashes.
A couple of ESP QSOs to the midwest on 160 (the winter radials aren't yet up on
the inv-L) - good thing there aren't serial numbers in this contest, hi.

Anyway - my WA record is certainly safe for another decade if this is the
propagation we have to look forward to in January, but I have a suspicion that
winter will be a little better.

See you in the Sprint!

73, Ward N0AX

Equipment
FT-990 & IC-735, TR-LOG
2-el cubical quad, C-3
40-2CD, 1/4-wave sloper (80), inv-L (160)

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com