[3830] NAQP CW N4VI SO

n4vi at arrl.net n4vi at arrl.net
Sun Aug 5 13:12:08 EDT 2001

                     North America QSO Party - CW

Call: N4VI
Operator(s): N4VI
Station: N4VI

Class: SO LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): ~6

  160:
   80:    133     11
   40:     56     20
   20:    148     42
   15:     73     29
   10:     14      6
----------------------
Total:    304    108  =  32,832

Club/Team:

Comments:

Rig:  TS870S

Antennas:

160m     none
80m      22' dipole in condo attic double "spiral" end loaded on each end  ~
25' high

40m      22' dipole in condo attic, single "spiral" end loaded
20/15/10m     cushcraft D-3 dipole at apex of condo attic   ~ 30+ ft high

Uugh,  listening before the test the bands sounded dead.  When the contest
started it still sounded like a 20dB filter was in the loop.  Since I don't
keep the station setup in the condo I was suspicious that something has broken
but don't believe that was the case, just poor conditions.

I missed a good portion of the test due to attending a wedding that couldn't be
missed.  Got back on with 1:15m left.  It became very obvious that not much CO
activity as I received numerous requests to QSY.  Unfortunately, no 160m
ability from the condo and to switch from 40 to 80m required a trip to the
attic to wire in the 2nd spiral loading "tophat".  I had intended to automate
this with relays but ran out of time.  So my apologies for refusing most of the
QSY requests.

80m was very noisy but I at least managed to pick up a few mults.  On most of
my 80m Q's the response to my initial S&P call was  .._ _..  but managed to
turn about 70% of the calls into Q's (reference height and length of 80m
antenna).  40m meters sounded like it was in good shape unfortunately I missed
prime 40m time.    10m was open to CA at the start and picked up various Q's
and mults from time to time.  15m was 'ok' and 20m was the money band but it
was quite a struggle.

Oh well,  with the marginal conditions I really paid the price for the indoor
antennas!  I will put out a "no wedding" notice for all future contest
weekends!

73's

chris, n4vi

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com