[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR SO

aa4lr at arrl.net aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon Aug 6 11:03:48 EDT 2001

Equipment:
Kenwood TS-430S / AT-250
20 year old CMOS keyer

Antennas:
125 foot doublet at 20 feet (All bands)
15m/10m delta loop in attic (10m/15m)
R7000 at 8 feet (40m-10m)

Comments:

My best NAQP CW effort ever. I ran out of steam in the last hour, so I pulled
the plug at 0500z. I wrote last January that I was now able to copy contest
exchanges in my head. I still need practice -- too many repeats. I was
embarrassed to contact my fellow SECC member K2UFT, only to have to ask him to
repeat his name. Thanks, Dick. I duped K6LL once each on 15m and 20m. Sorry,
Dave. The first time, I swear he sent K6LR, and the second I first copied K6RR.

Used the 125 foot doublet for almost all QSOs, with the AT-250, it tunes all
bands, with a little trouble on 160m. The delta loop works great, but causes
interference with household equipment. I'm convinced the R7000 is mostly a
dummy load <grin>. Hopefully, this is nearly the last contest I do with just
low wires, as my tower stands at 34 feet. I should finish the tower
construction soon.

SECC members were out in great force. We manage to field FOUR teams this time,
totalling 21 members. (Some teams didn't have five members) I worked W4AN as my
first QSO, and SECC members W4ATL, AE4Y, K2UFT, AD4J, W4NTI, K4NO, W4OC, K4BAI,
K4OGG, WA4TT and perhaps others.

Great time. Look forward to doing January with some real antennas.

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com