[3830] G4PIQ/P EU HFC SSB High Power

andy.rj.cook at bt.com andy.rj.cook at bt.com
Mon Aug 6 19:30:05 EDT 2001

                           EUROPEAN HFC SUMMARY SHEET

     Contest Date : 04-Aug-01

    Callsign Used : G4PIQ/P
         Operator : G4PIQ

         Category : SSB, High Power

 Default Exchange : 59 82

             Name : Andy Cook, G4PIQ
          Address : Knaves Acre, Brantham Hill, Brantham
   City/State/Zip : Manningtree, Suffolk. CO11 1TA
          Country : England

        Team/Club : Martlesham DX & CG

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Zones

  160SSB      37          36         36        25
   80SSB     100         100        100        39
   40SSB     205         204        204        50
   20SSB     283         277        277        51
   15SSB     240         233        233        50
   10SSB     222         221        221        51

 Totals     1087        1071       1071       266

    Final Score = 284,886 points.

Rig  : 2 x FT1000MP + PAs
Ants : 160m - Inv V Dipole @ 23m
       80m  - Delta Loop @ 24m
       40m  - 402CD @ 24m
       HF   - TH5 @ 24m (run) + A3 @ 26m (2nd radio)

Comments :
My first effort at this contest and not perhaps quite as much fun as I had
hoped (that's not to say that I've done well enough though). I found the 10
band changes per hour rule limited the use of the second radio a lot, but I
certainly didn't make the most of the changes available. Also, TR wasn't
showing me the list of other bands on which a multiplier was needed, so I
ended up trying to keep a multiplier table by hand which was a bit
distracting and I didn't make as much use of passing mults as I probably
should have - I hadn't really figured what was rare and what wasn't for a
while! My score above reflects what I think is my true multiplier total -
less some of the silly 03 & 09 stuff where I couldn't persuade people to
send me anything other than a serial number! I need to learn more than just
French & English for "Please give me the year of your first amateur
licence!"

Low bands were noisy with static - a thunderstorm passed very close (but not
quite too close) too the site, and I had quite a lot of trouble with static
rain. I also had my usual very high noise floor (+15dB) on 160 from local
electronic QRM and didn't have any beverage or noise cancelling stuff out
for this contest, so apologies for being a bit deaf.

Thanks to everyone for the QSOs.

73,

Andy, G4PIQ

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com