[3830] ARRL160 NM5NM M/S HP

draperbl at sandia.gov draperbl at sandia.gov
Mon Dec 10 11:34:26 EST 2001

                     ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: NM5NM
Operator(s): K5TA, AA5B
Station:

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NM

Total:     480     70        4      =  75,036

Club/Team: NMBRC

Comments:

TS850, Titan amplifier, inverted L (70' vertical, 70' horizontal,
4 elevated resonant radials), no receiving antennas, no packet.

Operated Saturday night only. It was great being fresh meat
(130 QSOs in the first hour), but the feeding frenzy died off
quickly and we were stuck with the low rates after midnight just
like everyone else.

Using the club call seemed like a fun idea in theory, but it's
one of the worst S&P callsigns ever. This sort of thing happened
many many times:

Him: CQ TEST W1XYZ
Us: NM5NM
Him: NM5M 5NN CT
Us: NM5NM 5NN NM NM5NM
Him: ?

I guess that's just too many 5s, Ns, and Ms to handle for a
lot of people.

It was great to operate with Scott (K5TA) again, and we're
hoping to have his station back in good shape for contesting soon.

   -Bruce  AA5B

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com