[3830] ARRL10 AE9B SO Mixed LP

tombaugh at discoverynet.com tombaugh at discoverynet.com
Mon Dec 17 06:46:28 EST 2001

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: AE9B
Operator(s): AE9B
Station: AE9B

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: MO

   CW:    551    103
  SSB:    977    130
----------------------
Total:   1528    233  =  970,678

Club: SMC WEST

Comments:

Equipment:
2- 1000MPs
C4SXL @ 60 ft
C3S @ 40 ft
Writelog

Last Year I was able to win the covetted SOLP Missouri Certificate...
I think there were only a few Operators but I'll take it anyway.
My good friend KG0US and I were very close last year and he talked about
challenging me again.
I must admit.. I thought he would win.. he has been steadily improving his CW
skills
and with CW counting for twice as many points .. well you do the math..
After the first day.... We had EXACTLY the same number of QSO's EXACTLY 734 Q's
each.
He had more CW contacts although I made a concerted effort with over 350 Q's CW
the first day.
I was in the lead on points however due to more multipliers. I felt like a
never got a run going and was compressed by the BIG HP guns.. the reality
I think is that there were tons of people operating and that's good news for
the hobby.. so no complaints there..
Dave had yet to tap the SSB multiplier pool so I really figured I was toast.
After looking at my previous years breakdown.. I came up with the plan to do
SSB for MAX run during the optimum hours
and use CW for slower times which I could handle better (I have improved my CW
skills as well but not the magician some of you guys are).
Had some nice surprises with DX calling me like KH0/ JA...,  HP2...,  KP4/AA..,
for multipliers Thanks to everyone who were patient enough to complete the Q's
I had a great run (for the black hole) on the second day SSB and the plan came
together.. I would not have tried so hard if it wasn't for a big push from
Raytown.. thanks Dave.
I beat my score last year by 130 Q's, and 250 K points
Congrats to the QRP guys that I was able to hear.

GL to all and Happy Holidays

Tom
AE9B

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com