[3830] ARRL10 N0SS SO CW QRP

n0ss at arrl.net n0ss at arrl.net
Wed Dec 19 08:13:12 EST 2001

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N0SS
Operator(s): N0SS
Station: N0SS

Class: SO CW QRP
QTH: MO
Operating Time (hrs): 4:45

   CW:    199     71
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:    199     71  =  56,516

Started out Friday evening at at 0000Z (Sat.). The band was busy, but most
signals (EXCEPT the west coast) were pretty 'watery' and I didn't bother
expending energy trying to work most of them.

Then the band started to open to JA... not a lot of them, but I did manage to
work a few.

Shortly after JA opened, I found several LU (Argentina) and CX (Uruguay)
stations to work, and then a bit later worked a couple VK (Australia) and ZL
(New Zealand) stations as well.

Stateside signals were still pretty watery, but I finally caved in and managed
to work a few non-West Coast stateside stations as well. Though not many.

Called it a night after 2 hours of operating, and with 100 Q's, as condx
weren't improving.

The next morning (Saturday) I went to the local 'Ham' breakfast at a local
greasy spoon, and returned home about 1600Z. Hopped on the band and is was open
to EU, though signals weren't as strong (nor as numerous) as I'd expected them
to be. Then I recalled that I'd received a notice of another moderate CME
(Coronal Mass ejection) from the sun, so I figgered this was finally beginning
to effect 10M propagation. I worked another 100 Q's on the next couple hours.

My K2 / KIO2 worked just great! I used my 1kHz B/W filter 99% of the time and
was able to work right up against several of the "Big Boys" without them etting
in my face.  MOST, though not all, of the stations I called came right back to
me... I did have several 'fill' requests, but not terribly many. THANKS to
those who spent the extra time/effort to stay with me when fills were
required.

That's it!

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com