[3830] ARRL10 VE7FO SO CW LP

jimsmith at shaw.ca jimsmith at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 20 03:36:38 EST 2001

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE7FO
Operator(s): VE7FO
Station: VE7FO

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: BC

   CW:    972    109
  SSB:
----------------------
Total:    972    109  =  425,100

CURRENT STATUS:
Rotor control box now on desk where it belongs.

Those who have been following my stories on 3830 may be wondering how we made
out with blaming cableco for the TVI problem.  The guy showed up as promised.
We tried various things with no luck.  Then he replaced the cable between the
box on the outside of the house and the TV and BINGO, no TVI.  Bought an AC
Line Filter for the daughter's CD player and internet connection, installed it,
took mine back and collected the money for the new one.  All in all, a happy
ending.

PREPARATION:
Sound card still not working.  The next step is to reinstall Windows over
itself.  Makes me nervous, to say the least.  Consequently, no DVP for phone
and need the cw practice so entered as cw only.

I have devised a method of simulating SO2R with one MkV and TRLog.  It isn't
really SO2R as you can't hear anything while transmitting.  I call it SO1.5R.
I haven't published it yet but I have had others trying it and making
suggestions.  I thought I would try out the final version in this test.  When I
bought the MkV I got a 500Hz filter for the sub-Rx but have never really tried
it out.  Well, I can't get it to work.  Not even by using K6SE's MPFilters.  As
SO1.5R requires running on the sub VFO and as I'm not nearly a good enough op
to pick out responses to cqs in a 2.4kHz BW while simultaneously tuning for
mults, I gave up on this idea.  Maybe in RAC Winter contest.  (If you're
interested in SO1.5R keep an eye on the 1000MP or TRLog reflectors.  I just
have to tidy up the documentation and ship it off to Tree to put on a web
site.)

As I do more contests my total Qs are increasing.  Maybe this time I can break
the magic 1000 barrier.

WHAT HAPPENED: