[3830] ARRL10 LT1F M/S HP

lu1fam at yahoo.com lu1fam at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 22 05:05:59 EST 2001

                     ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: LT1F
Operator(s): LU1FAM, LU1FD, LU1FGE, LU1FKR, LU2FT, LU3FQG, LU5DX(EX. LW9EUJ)
Station: BAD POWER

Class: M/S HP
QTH:

   CW:   1534  77+58
  SSB:   1852  76+59
----------------------
Total:   3394    260  =  2,656,800

The ARRL 10 M Contest From LT1F

During the CQ WW DX CW, LU1FAM and I thought that it would be fun to enter the
10 M test from LT1F.  Lucas told Carlos, LU1FKR, what we were planning and he
quickly agreed to enter the competition in the multi-single category.

The week before the contest I decided to travel from my city to Rosario on
bike. The 167 miles trip was nice, it took 14 hours, and I arrived in Rosario
at 1700 local time on Wednesday.

LU1FKR and LU1FAM were waiting for me. There was not much to prepare, just hook
up some cables, and everything was ready.

I spent Friday recovering from the hours of bike of the previous day; I guess I
slept for 14 hours straight.
As in the previous contest LU1FAM and I chatted a lot about contests, DX, etc.

The spare transceivers and accessories were carried to the antenna farm by
Santiago, LU3FQG and LU1FKR on Friday.

There was a big thunder storm, but it lasted for half an hour, then the weather
got better and
We had a beautiful blue sky for the rest of the weekend.

The Operators were: LU1FAM,LU1FD,LU1FGE,LU1FKR,LU2FT,LU3FQG,LU5DX (ex.LW9EUJ)

The Contest

We decided to make more CW than SSB, but it was  possible only until Sunday
noon, after that moment, we concentrated on SSB simply because the activity was
there. On CW it was hard to get a couple takers every minute or so.

First night went fine, we ended the first four hours with 441 Qs, most of them
on CW. Saturday morning was tough. The EUs were having fun with the Ws and vice
versa, it was almost impossible to find a piece of land to fire our CQ, when
the EU/W party finished our rate increased at 18Z.
When the rate was reaching the 200 Qs/h, Murphy decided to pay us a visit (a
good one): a power outage made us run to the generator room, only to find out
that it would not start, the thing was repaired by LU1FKR, and we were back on
the air the end of the hour 23z.

We decided to go to bed at 0300z, although the band was still open, we thought
that Sunday would provide better rates, and we didn't want to take time off
during the daylight hours.

But wait, what about some 80 M DXing? In a couple minutes we were on 80 SSB.
LU1FAM worked a bunch of Stateside and European Stations. The log periodic
array made by José, LU5FHM, was surely working great, it was like if we were on
10 rather than 80.

After 40 minutes or so of 80 M DXcitement, most of us went to bed, except Mr.
"FULL CHARGE BATTERIES" LU1FAM, who seemed not to have had enough radio fun.

Sunday started, one hour later than it was planned. We overslept a little bit.
Maybe the great Barbecue that Fabian, LU1FGE, prepared  on Saturday evening was
doing its job.

We saw we were having more consistent rates than the previous day, so all kind
of score predictions were made. What a pleasure was to be called by Eu and NA
at the same time!!! Memories of the years of low solar activity came to my
mind. I bet you can't realize how hard it is for us to work EU and NA on 28 and
21 during the top of the sunspot cycle (in contests).

On Sunday afternoon most of the activity took place on SSB. The rate was good
enough to be there for the rest of the day. We ended up the contest with 3394
Qs.

High Points

The support to all our activities provided by LU1FKR, LU3FZW, and LU5FHM. Plans
were made for future contests, including improvements on the already good
aerials they have got.

The enthusiasm everybody showed, you can breath radio at LT1F.

The good WX.

Saturday Night Bar-B-Q by LU1FGE.

Sunday Noon Fried / Roasted chicken party, also by LU1FGE.

The company of one of the funniest guys in town, Maximiliano, LU2FT

The support and help provided by Santiago LU3FQG.

Low Points

None, even the power outage seemed a minor problem, and it did not affect all
the fun we had at all.

73´s and DX From LU5DX!! and the LT1F team!!!!

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com