[3830] NA Sprint SSB K3CR(WA3FET) HP

jimb at psu.edu jimb at psu.edu
Tue Feb 6 01:20:06 EST 2001

                     NA Sprint - SSB

Call: K3CR
Operator: WA3FET
Station: K3CR

Power: HP
QTH: PA

   80:     93   93
   40:    103   103
   20:    100   100
----------------------
Total:    296 Qs   43 Mults =  12,728

Club/Team: NCC

Comments:

This was my 2nd Sprint ever and I have to admit that it was not as much
fun as the one last Fall.  When I got here on Saturday afternoon to check
stuff out and get things ready, I noticed that the top 20M OWA Yagi at 180
ft in the 3 stack was about 20 degrees off.  We had just replaced the rotator
for this with a new Yaesu 2800 in late October and it is just over 3 months
old.
Well it was not only off but it now doesn't turn the whole way and it would
not go thru west.  This was not a big factor in this since I have the other
Yagi's in the stack to turn but it was a really depressing thing to have this
go bad right before this.

The next item that went bad is that something has changed in our system in that
a bad hum appeared in both of the FT1000-MP's headphone lines through the NA
box
we have built for SO2R for use with NA.  I tried to change stuff around but
could not find the problem and operated this contest with a bad hum the whole
time.

The hum was in the transmit audio too and things were not right with this and
noise in there.  I think I am going to just change everything and go with audio
isolation transformers for all audio paths now and hopefully never be bothered
with hum ground loops again in the future.

With this and not really feeling too good, I did this, but really didn't have
my normal contest enthusiasm in this one.  I really wanted to break 300 and get
more mults. I believe an experienced operator in this could probably make
top-ten from this station if everything works and that will be my goal in this
too.

I look forward to the next one and will get things fixed and get back my
enthusiasm the next time.

For CW, NI3S, Eric, will run the station and he is now a new Freshman here at
Penn State and hopefully he can take a lot of Contesting classes like our most
recent graduate, Jim, KB3AFT, did when he was here at K3CR.

73 and hope that you all work K3CR next weekend.

Jim WA3FET

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com