[3830] ARRLDX CW W4ZV SOSB/10 HP

btippett at alum.mit.edu btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 20 13:23:55 EST 2001

                     ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W4ZV
Operator(s): W4ZV
Station: W4ZV

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: NC

----------------------
Total:   1752    113  =  593,928

Club: PVRC

Comments:

     Wow!  In spite of missing about 20 minutes during prime EU time Saturday
AM (and I figure 40-50 Q's due to a bad connector), I still managed to beat my
score last year and the record by about 1% because of more multipliers.  I
worked all propagationally-difficult zones (18, 22, 23, 24 and 26) and even 18
and 26 on both morning and evening openings.  Was a great thrill to be called
by 3W, JT, E21 (HS), XX9, 9V, BV, etc!  Maybe just as exciting were all the QRP
guys...OH9VL takes the prize with a power of "0R5" or 500 milliwatts.  I still
recall the DL station who sent me "1" and I thought maybe it was a cut "ATT"
for 100 W.  When asked for confirmation he said "1W to GP" as his signal peaked
S8 on my meter!  N7ET/DU7 was another exciting QRP caller!  BTW does anyone
know what JA3YBK was using?  He was weak but audible for a LONG time after all
other JA's were gone.

     Signals from EU were incredibly strong here...some of the big guns peaking
>50 dB over S9.  All the clicks and trash made for tough copy in the lower part
of the band.  One OK told me I intermittently had some spurs, etc and I would
like to know if others heard the same from me.  I've not had similar reports
using the MP and a well-underdriven LK-800A amplifier so I'm inclined to blame
it on simple overload due to the incredible conditions.  I found turning off
the MP's preamp on 10 (Menu 8-4) did a lot to clean up similar trash I was
hearing from many of the EU big guns.  The trash our radios put out is a real
problem when 10 is open like it was (...BTW the same applies to strong local
signals on 160)...most of it is unintentional but I suspect some of it is not.
If you thought my signal was bad please let me know at btippett at alum.mit.edu.

     Thanks to God for the incredible conditions and to all for the QSO's and a
very fun weekend!  (I almost wished I had tried 160 when I listened Friday
night but 10 meters will be a distant memory when 160 sounds like that all the
time in a few years!)

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  For CT users, watch out if you worked ND5S from both /FS and /PJ7...CT
9.57.004 will count the multiplier correctly for the second QSO...but will
count it as a DUPE and ZERO QSO points.

saved

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com