[3830] ARRLDX CW N7WA M/2 HP

mwdink at eskimo.com mwdink at eskimo.com
Wed Feb 21 10:44:02 EST 2001

                     ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N7WA
Operator(s): JR1NKN, N7BV, N7WA
Station:

Class: M/2 HP
QTH:

  160:      2      2
   80:     55     18
   40:    303     58
   20:    490     62
   15:    562     88
   10:    353     71
----------------------
Total:   1732    299  =  1,539,252

Club: WWDXC

Comments:

Understaffed, hardware problems, company from out of town, and our
first try at M/2. We had a blast!. Unfortunately, our score, while
a new high for this group, seems pitiful against the competition. Had some
good runs but many times it was like pulling teeth to get the Y'urp
calls through mediocre signal strength. Then we had to fight hardware.

Somehow, about 12 hours into the contest, the amplifier developed a
problem that would attenuate INCOMING signals. Randomly, after the PTT
dropped, there was little or no signal at the Receiver. Tap the key and it
might or might not come back. Sometimes the signal was there and slowly
attenuated over 2-3 seconds. Killed many a good run with this. First we
blamed the antenna relay switches, then the borrowed Alpha, then the receiver,
then back to the amp. Just couldn't get a handle on it and lived with it for
another 12 hours. Finally, last try, took the Alpha off-line and threw the ol'
MLA2500 on line. No more problems. Guess I need to dig into the Alpha. Relay's?
(no amount of mechanical vibration seems to cause or cure the problem though).

We learned a lot - just give us another 20 years to get it right.  Probably be
back as a 2 radio M/M in CW WPX. Just need more drivers and a few other items
to make it easier. 73 - dink

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com