[3830] CQ160 SSB VE3BY SO HP

va2by at rac.ca va2by at rac.ca
Mon Feb 26 08:22:46 EST 2001

                     CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: VE3BY
Operator(s):
Station: VE3BY

Class: SO HP
QTH: Ontario
Operating Time (hrs):

QSOs: 783  States/Provinces: 53  Countries: 5  Score: 219,936

Comments:

My second CQWW-160 contest.
I had set my goal for 1000 qso's, same as 2 years ago but was unsure. The TX
array and the beverages had all been put up in one day, all temporary. My last
beverage was strung out 4 hours before the contest with hopes to catch more
West Coast stations.
The first night was the better of the two, worked 2/3 of all my qso's and 99%
of my multipliers. I was not happy with the performance of my RX antennas, I
had to use my old 9:1 baluns, the low loss stacked baluns were still packed
away from the move. The second night conditions were very poor, high noise and
constant snow static, unable to use the RX antennas until 07:00 UTC. At 06:00 I
noticed the amp out of tune, the VSWR was greater than 2:1 caused by the heavy
ice loading on the TX array, I managed to back off the loading on the amp and
stayed on the air. At the same time we had company drop over till 06:30 UTC, so
we entertained in the "shack", did not miss a beat.

Antennas: 2 phased dipoles flat at 95 ft, spaced half wave apart. 3 beverages,
500ft - 800ft. EU, ZL, SA. With pre-amp.
TX /RX : FT1000D
PA : 2kw
Station engineer: wife, 8 months pregnant. Kim VE3DXE.

Next year I will be better prepared, not bad for one day of antenna
installations. Most of the antennas will be coming down today.

Thanks to all who worked me.
73
Carl Styan
VE3BY