[3830] NAQP SSB NB7B SO

gwclark.vernmhp at state.ut.us gwclark.vernmhp at state.ut.us
Sun Jan 21 13:01:43 EST 2001

                     North America QSO Party - SSB

Call: NB7B
Operator(s): NB7B
Station: NB7B

Class: SO LP
QTH: UTAH

  160:      0      0
   80:      0      0
   40:      1      1
   20:    122     39
   15:      1      1
   10:    197     30
----------------------
Total:    321     71  =  22,791

Club/Team:

Comments:

Soap Box Comments:

I am just getting a station back on the air after seven years of inactivity.  I
had no intention of joining the contest until it broke loose on 10 meters while
I was listening.

I just couldn't help myself.  Unfortunately, all I had for the setup here was
the barefoot rig, a hand mike and an Excel spreadsheet for logging.  I had to
run the mike with one hand and type with the other.

At 2119, I just couldn't take it anymore, ran to town (15 miles away) and
bought a multi-media headset with mike boom from radio shack, a foot switch and
a mike plug.  Unfortunately, the mike element was dead, so I wound up soldering
the element from my hand mike to the headset and taping the element in place on
the boom. I finally got back on the air just after 10 meters died.

I moved to 20 and got back to work.  I tried "hunt and pounce" at first, but
that was just too slow.  So, I found a spot between a couple of other stations
and began calling CQ, that was my strategy for the rest of the contest.

Stayed in there until 20 went away, since the antenna just won't load on 80 and
40 (I get distorted audio due to high SWR and no grounding), I went QRT at 0235
- but I had a ball!

When spring arrives, new antennas are going up and NB7B is going to start
playing contest for real!

Logging software has already been ordered as well as a heil headset.

Look out next time 73 es tnx de nb7b

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com