[3830] IARU 9V9HQ M/S

jamesb at pacific.net.sg jamesb at pacific.net.sg
Tue Jul 17 13:34:42 EDT 2001

                     IARU HF Championship

Call: 9V9HQ
Operator(s): 9V1YC, 9V1BH
Station: 9V1YC

Class: M/S  Power: HP
QTH: Earth

  160:       0        0        0
   80:       0        0        0
   40:     103        9       21
   20:     105      395       52
   15:     661     1055       73
   10:     153       97       35
-----------------------------------
Total:    1022     1556      181  =  1,884,934

Did the two-man, one-radio 'HQ' thing again from my place (YC), and obtained
more or less the same score as last year, and the year before that too.  Same
band openings, same propagation, same antennas, same two ops.  Only this time
we dumped the MP and dusted off the trusty old 930 instead. What a difference.

Operating a contest from S.E. Asia at this time of year can best be described
as 21 hours of mediocre-rate boredom followed by 3 hours of mind-blowing pileup
insanity. The problem is that our best Europe opening coincides with our best
USA opening, which coincides with our best Africa and South American opening
too.  This fun last all of about 3 hours on 15m from 1500-1800 UTC (11pm-2am
local), and its really a trip.  Our resident Siberian contest machine (Victor,
9V1BH) did most of the midnight fun-run this year.

Overall, the bands were in great shape (as good as they are every year at this
time) and we had absolutely no complaints over lousy propagation. All the
openings happened when they were supposed to, and our continental breakdown is
almost identical to previous years.

Being a HQ mult has its perks, but it also gets annoying sometimes with a long
crappy exchange like 'S A R T S '.  90% of those who we answer S & P just don't
get it, and keep insiting we give them a zone.  What a pain.  I'd like to give
a boot-to-the-head to all you yo-yo's who kept asking for our zone number.  :-)

QSL via AA5BT.

73

james 9v1yc

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com