[3830] IARU J75KG(K5KG) SO Mixed

k5kg at arrl.net k5kg at arrl.net
Sat Jul 21 04:38:38 EDT 2001

                     IARU HF Championship

Call: J75KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: J75KG

Class: SO Mixed  Power: HP
QTH: J7

  160:       1        0        1
   80:      13        0        6
   40:     210       89       40
   20:     550      321       52
   15:     501      357       52
   10:      28       46       13
-----------------------------------
Total:    1303      813      164  =  1,331,352

Club: FLORIDA CONTEST GROUP

Comments:

The set up at J75KG required all equipment and antennas be set up prior to the
contest and taken down afterword ala field day, singlehandedly.  Station was
FT890, Timewave 599ZX, AL572, C3 on 20ft. mast, 40m & 80m loops, 160m inv vee.
Had to do a last minute diode fix in the amp due to a HV arc over.

Spent one entire day putting up full wave 80m loop, only to have it fail during
the contest.  My night guard came running to my door in the middle of the
night, screaming "the tree is on fire".  The wire of the 80m loop caught up
under a palm frond and was burning the frond every time I keyed the tx.  We
tried to free it, but to no avail in the dark.  Very eery seeing sparks blowing
out of the top of a palm tree in the dark of night.  So much for 80m!  160m
yielded only K5ZD.  [Congrats Randy!].  Condx were good, but down from last
year.  10m was a disappointment.

There's next year and, besides, it's only a hobby!

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com