[3830] AD5Q - IARU SOHP CW

R.S.Hradilek ids at nol.net
Sun Jul 22 19:11:32 EDT 2001

     Hours of Operation: 23:59

              CW      CW     SSB     SSB    band
     band   QSOs     pts   QSOs      pts   mults

     160      15      37       0       0      7
      80      53     129       0       0     14
      40     248     814       0       0     42
      20     774    3108       0       0     66
      15     318    1028       0       0     45
      10     200     512       0       0     14

     TOTAL  1608    5628       0       0    188       SCORE: 1,058,064

I thought 15 was in mediocre shape. The usual hot EU run on
Saturday morning didn't happen. I found 10 open and had good rate
there, but it was almost all stateside - very few mults. I wondered,
"Why aren't these east coast guys down on 15 running EU's?"
Later on, I found the activity on 10 had totally dried up, and even
missed the JA mult there.

15 actually stayed open pretty late and got better in the afternoon,
but the action moved down to 20 - which was excellent.

Usually there is so much DX activity in this contest that there is
not enough time to work all the stateside stuff. With the weak runs
during the day, the stateside guys filled the gap.

Lowband condiditons weren't very good either. This was the first
time I ever failed to work new DX mults at our sunrise on 80.
PY2FUS called me on 160 with a good signal - nice surprise.
NU1AW on 160 was very weak here.

My last real effort in this contest was in 1999. With 100 more
contacts in the log and 10 more mults, my score was slightly lower
- reflecting the shortage of 5 point contacts.

I don't mean to complain - it's just that time of the cycle when we
must get used to lower and lower solar fluxes in each contest. I
worked hard at the SO2R this time, but usually leave the 2nd radio
alone when the rates go above 100. I can go through the motions of
op'ing a serious station here, but my main antennas are tribanders.
I am satisfied with this effort.

The smoothest software for SO2R is still NA. I check out each new
version of WriteLog, and decide against trying it.

Roy -- AD5Q

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com
Problems:                 owner-3830 at contesting.com