[3830] GA QSO Party AD1C Single-op low power all bands (unassisted)

Jim Jim
Tue Jul 24 00:03:08 EDT 2001

Georgia QSO Party
AD1C -- Massachusetts
Single-op, low-power, all-band, unassisted

80:	  2
40:	 19
20:	102
15:	 19
10:	  7
TOTAL:	149 QSOs x 2 x 89 counties = 26,522 Final Score
10.5 hours of operation
ICOM 756pro, G5RV dipole @ 35 feet, HyGain AV-640 vertical, DX4WIN for
logging

Soapbox:

I got bitten by the county hunter bug last October, and have tried to
make an effort to work the state QSO parties where I knew several
mobiles would be active.  K5OT sent me the list of mobiles to be
running in the GA QSO Party and this figured to be a good one.  But I
wasn't sure how much time I'd be able to put into it.  In the end, I
operated about 10 hours.

Before the contest, I went through my log and highlighted my K5OT
mobile list with the counties I need.  In the past, I have tried to do
"too much" when the contest got slow -- checking the CW and SSB mobile
county hunter frequencies, DX spots, etc.  I'm always wondering what I
was missing.  One state QSO party (maybe WI) gave me a real headache by
the time it was over.  Past experience has shown that 95-99% of the
mobile activity is CW-only, so I decided to just work CW and blow off
phone.  The few times I checked 20m and 15m, I never heard a single GA
station calling CQ on phone, though I did hear someone pass K5OT/M to
SSB a few times.  I just couldn't be bothered.  I turned off W/K spots
before the contest, but after turning them back on after, there weren't
too many spotted.

Activity by the mobiles was better on Saturday than Sunday - I made
only one contact with K4PK/M on Sunday, but about 1/2 dozen on
Saturday.  Sunday was fun as I started passing GA stations from 20m to
15m, and even passed a few to 10m with excellent signals!  The band was
open, just nobody was home.  I tried to spot them in the hope that it
would drum up some activity.  I don't think it did.  W3DYA/M was the
only mobile to try to pass ME and I worked Norm on several different
bands that way.  He was the ONLY mobile I worked on 10m.  Thanks, Norm!

I needed over 60 GA counties at the beginning of the contest.  I was
fortunate to work about 33 of the ones I needed.  Here is the breakdown
by mobile station:

  AF4QB/M	12 QSOs
  K4PK/M	 8 QSOs
  K5OT/M	15 QSOs
  KN4Y/M	20 QSOs
  NJ4U/M	26 QSOs
  W3DYA/M	26 QSOs

K4BAI and K2UFT were the only 5-banders.  I heard one mobile weakly on
80m but forgot who it was.

Also picked up my 500th county for the YEAR all-CW.

Thanks for all the activity, and I'm sure I'll be back next year,
finishing up the ones I still need.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com