[3830] IOTA W1F M/S

n4ydu at att.net n4ydu at att.net
Sun Jul 29 12:19:57 EDT 2001

                     IOTA Contest

Call: W1F
Operator(s): N4YDU, KO4PY
Station: KO4PY

Class: M/S  Power: HP
QTH: NA067
Operating Time (hrs): 12

 Band     QSOs     Mults    QSOs    Mults
   20:     295                 6
   15:     298                62
   10:      11                 6
Total:     600                74           =  288,756

Club: none

Comments:

Going in we had pretty much planned to operated only 12 hours from Roanoke
Island, NC. W1F stands for Wright's first flight to celebrate 100 years since
the Wright Brother's did their first gliding experiements in this area.

We had a very slow start do to several very minor problems but in the afternoon
Brent and I got things cooking pretty well. We had a two-element delta loop at
10 feet off the ground fixed at Europe and played very well. The last four
hours of the contest our rate was averaging 100 and the peak was at 150 in an
hour.

We were stationed in an old communicatios trailer for the Civil Air Patrol at
the Dare County Regional Airport. The winds were tremendous when we set
everything up on Friday afternoon. The weather was perfect on Saturday. We
didn't even run the AC!

At 0000 zulu Brent and I decided to pull out...That was a tough decision to
make because we were have really good runs at that point. We didn't want to
kill ourselves.

73,

Nate/N4YDU

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com