[3830] N7IR June VHF SO Portable

Gary Hembree gary.hembree at asu.edu
Tue Jun 12 12:57:35 EDT 2001

                       ARRL VHF QSO PARTY -- 2001

      Call:      N7IR
      Category:  Single Operator Portable
      Section:   Arizona
      Location:  DM44 (7332' ASL)

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS      GRIDS

       50       96       96          63
      144       21       21           8
      432        9       18           4
     -----------------------------------

     Totals    126      135          75  =   10,125

Equipment Description:
50 and 144 MHz: Elecraft K2, Ten-Tec 1208 and 1210 transverters
432 MHz: RS HTX-100, Microwave Modules 432-28S transverter
Antennas: 3el 6m Yagi at 33', 9el 2m Yagi at 17', 18el 70cm Yagi
          at 26'.  33 and 26 foot Portple(tm) masts

Soapbox:
Broke the old section record by a factor of 4.  Learned a valuable
lesson about laptops: don't use them in battery only operations.
Six blew wide open the last three hours of the contest and I was
running off two crippled batteries.  Between swapping batteries
and waiting for them to recover I probably lost half of the opening.
The last QSO was with W6OAL in DM79 who supplied the masts that
helped to make this operation so much fun.
73
Gary, N7IR
DM43bi

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com