[3830] ARRLDX SSB K8DX SOAB HP

k8dx at raex.com k8dx at raex.com
Mon Mar 5 13:31:25 EST 2001

                     ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K8DX
Operator(s):
Station:

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Ohio

  160:     17     15
   80:     63     43
   40:    169     66
   20:    685    103
----------------------
Total:   3209    450  =  4,332,150

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

After getting an hour and a half nap before the contest started, I was in much
better shape to start this one than either of the CQWW’s last year.   Although
I was feeling good, my station has been in need of repair since we had 90Mph+
winds (again) about Two months ago.   I operated with a lot less flexibility
than since Some of the antennas were fixed in certain directions, (not EU) and
Some of the ones that do rotate, were not reading correctly.

 Almost had a disastrous start, when trying to figure out whether to begin on
ten or fifteen meters, K8AZ stopped by to ask where I planned to start.  All of
the sudden the radio started going crazy,  and I with only two minutes until
the gun going off!  I started to panic, and with about 30 seconds left, I found
that I had accidentally pulled out the plug for audio on the second radio,
and it was just tripping the VOX.

I figured that if I was going to go after NA8V’s 1990 W8 record, this would
have to be the year to do it, and I had my eye set on breaking 3M.

I debated whether or not to sleep on Saturday morning for a bit, but felt good
enough to keep going.  Early Sunday morning things really slowed down (although
I could hear K1TO running EU’s on 20M that I couldn’t hear a whisper) I thought
I would be able to get a LONG nap in, but kept taking "one more scan" through
the bands and picking up more mults.  I finally gave in and slept for 1.5 hours
so I could be fresh of the EU run of the morning.  This is the first time I’d
set up a place to sleep in the shack.  It was just comfortable to rest, but not
enough that you wanted to stay there :-)

After my first year of this SOAB stuff, I might be starting to get the hang of
it.  I need to make some changes in the shack as far as equipment ergonomics,
and really thinking of changing my SO2R Audio switching to listen to only one
radio at a time instead of one in each ear.

Looking forward to the next one!

Scott K8DX

Submissions:              3830 at contesting.com
Administrative requests:  3830-REQUEST at contesting.com